Star Wars, Skateboards, SpongeBob & Bach

Oh, thank heavens for Bach.

First of all Sean, 4, talks nonstop. If I enter a room he's in the chatter begins almost like I'm entering in the middle of a conversation. Then I realize it is I who is being conversed with. (I know that sentence stinks grammatically, Paul, but I'm not fixing it! ;) I love the sound of my little boy's voice and I love that he wants to talk to me. But I cannot hear one more thing about Star Wars. I know nothing about it. He knows everything about it and is always testing me on it and asking whether I like the movies or Luke's Lego Star Wars video game more. ~whimper~

Then there's SpongeBob. I hate to admit it, because it's just a good chunk of evidence against my parenting, but I simply have to face facts: he knows every episode by heart. The good thing is (go with me here, I'm trying to make a negative into a positive) he can recite story lines and the characters' lines to me flawlessly. So I think he'll do fine in reading comprehension and public speaking. And certainly theater.

Then there's skateboarding. Seth has skateboarded since 4. Luke was my little nonskateboarding hope. He was the one I was not going to have to outfit in absurd shoes and buy wheels, trucks, boards by the dozen, or worry about skateboarding injuries. However, lately (due to his big brother's influence) he's decided that he wants to purchase his own skateboard. Today he spent half the day on his brother's learning to gap or jump a gap or whatever the lingo is. He was also wearing his older brother's Volcum shirt (skateboard company) and his new skateboarding shoes we bought yesterday. And he spent the other half of the day on the net planning which skateboard to order once his brother got home from school. ~whimper~

Well, at least he's left behind his Lego Star Wars ships obsession. I was getting tired of that. Mom, do you like the Millenium Falcon or the Arc 170 Fighter better? ~whimper~

I don't mean to sound like I don't LOVE HAVING BOYS! I do! I love my boys, I think they're fascinating and fun and just wonderful. And I'm not so sure I'd rather be hearing about Barbies and the American Girl collection and make up. No, that'd probably make my eyes roll back in my head after a while too. But Coooome OOOOn, give a girl a break!

Mom, Evan won't let me be Obi Wan...I want the red light saber...no, Luke's light saber is not purple...Mom, who's better Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader? ~whimper~

So, tonight Seth comes in the kitchen playing this Bach piece on his bass. He's entering the talent show at school and his groovy college student bass teacher taught him a classical piece to play and he's loving it. (Thank heavens for the groovy college student bass teacher too.) He's amazed at how Bach could even think of such a cool number. I mean, he still thinks rock rocks and all, but this Bach guy...whew, unbelievable stuff...and so fun to play he could play it forever!

Music to a mom's ears. l

Comments

Popular Posts