Right

Start with what is right rather than what is acceptable.

7/3/1883 Franz Kafka


Oh m'gosh. I am now going to spare you a three page diatribe on youth sports.

You're welcome.

Instead! I'll just say that Kafka had bunches of quotes that really piqued my interest. (As did Hermann Hesse!...see ThinkExist.com I've read Siddhartha years ago, but want to look into Demian and Steppenwolf too...) I think I'll have to read some Kafka soon. The Castle sounds interesting...maybe The Metamorphosis or some short stories. Here are some other Kafka quotes I liked:

You can hold yourself back from the sufferings of the world, that is something you are free to do and it accords with your nature, but perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could avoid.

You are free and that is why you are lost.

It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet.

Evil is whatever distracts.

Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness, but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name, it will come.

My ''fear''... is my substance, and probably the best part of me.

I can prove at any time that my education tried to make another person out of me than the one I became. It is for the harm, therefore, that my educators could have done me in accordance with their intentions that I reproach them; I demand from their hands the person I now am, and since they cannot give him to me, I make of my reproach and laughter a drumbeat sounding in the world beyond.

Comments

Paul Nichols said…
Hi Jennie--Happy 4th

I said (words to this effect...)

You will never regret being a mom to your kids all day long. Your gift to society is not you or your career--it's the children you give to the world.

We have three great adult kids now who are amazingly wonderful influences in their own circles. We couldn't say that if My First Wife had ever gone to work when they were in school.

You are on the right track.

Your article is merely fantastic! It is a great treatise on truth from home. You covered all the bases. It ought to be required reading in every Parenting 101 course. Well done. I printed it and gave it to My First Wife. She hasn't finished reading it yet, but when she does she'll want to be best friends with you!

Many blessings to you and your whole family.

Paul Nichols

Popular Posts