Week Ramblings

It's been an interesting week for me. The kids went to school on Thursday, I blogged about it, but upon attempting to revise my post things got wacky and I just quit trying. They're fine, enjoying their classes okay. The second day of school Sean and I met his teacher on the playground and he said to her, "You look nice today." What a charmer. He takes after his father. (Oh yes he does, Stan)

I have been getting a lot done around the house. I love organizing, so I've been doing that to my hearts delight. Now I've moved on, temporarily, to arranging my living room in preparation for a big dinner I'm having on Tuesday night. Seth's soccer team meets for spaghetti dinners several times during the season and I agreed to host this one. 18 players, 4 coaches, three long tables end to end across my dining room/living room. Luckily, I have very little cooking to do. The other moms bring the food. So that has sidetracked me for a bit, but I'll be getting back to compulsive organizing on Wednesday. You have no idea how much it excites me to imagine my drawers and closets free of clutter and disharmony.

But it hasn't been all joy of finding homes for loose paper clips and nestling a group of carefully wrapped extension cords into their new box. I've also been suffering, I think, from a little melancholy and lonliness. I didn't expect this, but I'm a little weepy and sensitive. I realized tonight, when I came across an old audio tape of Billy Joel's Piano Man that my mom had recorded for Seth when he played the piano a hundred years ago and I felt tears coming on, that I may just be teetering on despair. So many things are tugging at my heartstrings right now. I won't even go into the distress that moving the homeschool materials to the top shelf of the bookcase caused me. The day I rearranged the computer room (formerly known as the homeschool room) things felt like they were moving in slow motion. Every book and paper I held felt like it weighed 10 lbs in my hands.

On top of this change, we are also going to a new church. Sheesh, this is not easy either. We really feel right and good about being in the new one, but it is very hard to leave the old one because of the people there. Sean asks to go to his old Sunday school class and his old Children's Church class and my heart shatters into a million pieces. But I really think this is where we're supposed to be right now. I feel like everything that happens right now has a clear good side and a clear lousy side. Last night I even dreamt about discussing our move with my old choir director and she said something sappy like, "Every time I see these flowers [they were plastic] I'll think of you."

During the first two days of school, it seemed that every negative little thing I heard made my heart sink. My heart's already with homeschooling, so I don't even want to hear or experience one negative thing in the first two days of public school! Luke came home the second day and they'd had art. He is a natural artist - from birth. No art class in 5th grade will ever meet his needs. He should probably be in 9th grade art (like my oldest was in last year and nearly failed from disinterest.) Anyway, the art teacher, according to him, "talked for a half hour about how some workmen this summer left wet newspapers in the room after they'd finished and the papers molded over and we should never throw out wet papers and we should respect the school! Then by the time she was done talking we only had five minutes to finish our projects." If adults only knew how their chatter sounded to children...All he wanted to do was work. ~Sigh~ Stories like that are why I find school insipid sometimes. I don't think adults respect children's needs enough, they're too busy trying to make the children remember not to throw out wet newspapers in the summer.

Then to top it all off, my sister-in-law sent me a disc of all the pictures from our vacation together. Helloooo. Did I need to see myself romping in a bathing suit - in public, no less - at a time like this?! So, my diet's resuming tomorrow, just as soon as I finish this Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Chip.

Well I can't have it just laying around the house, can I?!?

Comments

rosemary said…
I feel the same way when one of my children leave after a visit...in particular my daughter. I can still smell her perfume in the bathroom and it is all I can do to put the living room back together. I felt the same way after I took SweetPea to Seattle....I still can't go into the old laundry room...and Pea is a CAT!
Paul Nichols said…
Nice finish. Tasty!
chocolatechic said…
Sounds like you need a hug and a bar of Dove Dark.....yep! That will help!
Anonymous said…
How noble of you to save other people from that Ben & Jerry's ice cream...

Seriously, I can't remember if I've visited your blog (via Michele) before, but I saw your url in the comments, and had to check you out.

Love the name. Love your writing.

Hiya!

Popular Posts