Friday Five Glimpses

~Random Things I Did This Week~

1. I cleaned my van, vacuumed it and drove it through a car wash. I have three boys, that's all I'm sayin'. I swear it runs better now, can that be possible?

2. I painted the trim in my bathroom and back hallway.
I think we underestimate the power of a good coat of paint.

3. I prepared 18 ramekins of Pot de Creme for a Girl's Night Party at my friend Coleen's. This is a recipe that I use many times a year. How do I have 18 ramekins? I don't. I have 30+ ramekins because I made it first for my girlfriend's wedding shower 6 years ago. All the ladies were clicking their spoons and licking the cups - it is rich and deluxe, just look at the ingredients. It's from Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, which has many of my favorite recipes. And c'mon, whipped cream is not optional. I also shave bittersweet chocolate on top of the cream AND this time they will be fresh local strawberry wedges too. Can't wait till tonight!

Chocolate Pots de Crème

1 cup light cream
1 4-oz package German chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
Dash salt
3 beaten egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped cream
(optional)

In a heavy small saucepan combine light cream, chopped
chocolate, sugar and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat till smooth and slightly thickened. Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 2 to 3 minutes more.
Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into 4 to 6 pots de crème cups or
individual small sherbet dishes. Cover and chill several hours or
overnight till firm. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.


4. I volunteered to help at the school cupcake sale. I am a turd when it comes to fundraisers. It's all I can do to smile and do my citizen's duty, which this week included making white cake cupcakes with strawberry icing (all box and can stuff) and putting on a plastic glove, grabbing a bag and following little Kindergarteners around as they pointed to the ones they wanted. All for a quarter a cupcake.

5. I took my 10 year old niecey out to Barnes & Nobles for her birthday. She got two books, a wooden artist's model and one cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream. And she left with a smile.

Comments

Popular Posts